Looking for a new job opportunity but you’re not quite sure what it is you’re after? Here’s a few tips to help you.
Whether you’re taking you’re first steps into employment or simply wanting a career change, having an idea of the role you would like to look for is definitely a bonus but not essential. Making the right decision about your ideal career can be difficult especially when you cant be sure what you want is right until you experience it?
Research is vital
Before conducting a search, think of what suits you best:
- What does the role have in common with your hobbies and interests?
- Find out what tasks are in the particular jobs and how they fit in with your skills and experience.
- Speak to friends and family about their current roles and potential careers they think you would suit.
- Think about company’s you would really like to work for, speak with employers to give you an insight of the company and their roles.
- Look at different industries and career paths.
What’s important to you?
When deciding on whether a new job is right for you, it’s important to not focus only on the salary as this doesn’t always spell happiness. Here are some points to consider while weighing up your options:
- Are you getting the right work life balance?
- What employee benefits are available?
- Working hours
- Educational Opportunities
- Company history and stability
Think about your passion and skills
Take time to think about what really interests you and brand yourself in a way that demonstrates your enthusiasm and passion. If you can’t think of anything specific, consider your strengths. Conduct a personal SWOT analysis looking at your strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats. This will help you make the most of your talents and realise what you can do with your skills.
When looking for a job it’s important to be positive and make sure you demonstrate commitment. Make a plan for your job search and ensure you’re open to any opportunities and willing to experiment in different industries and roles. The more experience you get, the closer you’ll be to finding out what you really want from your career.
Whatever you’re looking for, always remember the team of Dobson Welch are here to help. So get in touch today and find out more about our Current Vacancies.